Returning to Iron Banner after a Month Off... And I'm salty. (Destiny)

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, April 30, 2015, 17:34 (3255 days ago) @ Kahzgul

...sigh. Salty post incoming...

Well I , for one, am shocked. ;)

Before you say my connection must stink, I get 50 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up

2 points to make:

1. Bandwidth is not the same as latency, and latency is MUCH more important. You could have a gigabit pipe, but you'll still have a bad game experience if something causes the packets to have to travel a great distance, or traverse other links which have issues. Speedtest.net is not the ultimate assessor of network quality, and even if it were, it's only measuring the path between you and the test server.

2. Your connection might actually be fine. It might be absolutely perfect in every conceivable way. Perhaps you're sitting in Google HQ right now. But if the person you're shooting at has an issue, it's going to have the same sort of effects.

I don't know about the differences in your experience with other games, because I don't play any of them enough to have an idea what to expect. Truth be told, I barely touch Destiny's PvP either. Maybe it's a matter of dedicated servers, maybe Destiny players have crappy connections. Maybe it's all in your head. I dunno.

As an aside, if any of you ever get the chance to use a satellite internet connection (NOT simply a wireless connection, I mean one that ACTUALLY uses an orbiting satellite), do it. Those tend to have comparable bandwidth to a DSL line, so pretty decent. But the latency is shocking. After using that, you will understand why bandwidth is only part of the equation.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread