Dislike those nightfall changes (Destiny)

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, August 28, 2015, 03:29 (3165 days ago) @ electricpirate

I'm curious what your fix for that would be? Right now, there's a distinct difference in how people play a nightfall strike vs. anything else in the game, even raids. Everyone holds back, usually hiding in a corner. I don't begrudge anyone because of that, in fact I do it myself. I don't have unlimited time, and I'm not interested in wiping and going back to orbit to do it all over again. Especially since, as this update also noted, completing the nightfall in year one wasn't just a challenge that was worthwhile on its own (although I certainly found it fun, in its own way) - it felt almost mandatory to get it done early in the week, because otherwise your item and rep leveling wasn't going up as fast as it could be.

When I compare that nightfall experience to running a vanilla strike with a fireteam (not with randos, they just speedrun everything and ruin it), the vanilla strikes are much more entertaining, and it's because we all feel free to go nuts with supers, melees, and whatever else seems entertaining. And I promise you, the one thing that is making that difference is NOT having to go to orbit if we wipe. We know we'll just start at the last checkpoint. I'm not sure there's a good way to "encourage" more aggressive play as long as that spectre of going to orbit is still there. People will stay play ultra-conservatively if that's a possibility. The only fix I can think of is to make sure there are no safe spots, but there are two issues with that. First, it's probably not going to work - the community will find a cheese spot somewhere. Second, even if it does work, it ends up not being fun. Being trapped in a room where there are bullets hitting you no matter where you hide is annoying and frustrating.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread