Yikes. (Destiny)

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Friday, August 28, 2015, 17:06 (3165 days ago) @ narcogen

No more kick to orbit in Nightfall.... that totally changes how it will play.

That... makes it like any other strike.

So there's no XP buff, there's no Nightfall in it anymore, since that's what the kick to orbit meant, and now it requires 40, so I'm going to have to rank up six more levels before I can do it?

Yeah, but now you can do that with just gameplay instead of RNG or grinding for currency to buy stuff and grinding for materials and experience to upgrade it.

Also, the Weekly gave me a chance to look at modifiers and the specific strike so I could decide whether or not I wanted to do it this week. Now it's just another playlist (like the other strike playlists I stopped playing months ago) and since I won't know what I'm getting, I'm not sure what the point is. When they added matchmaking I stopped playing Weeklies without a full fireteam. Now I guess I won't be playing them at all, since there's actually no strike to play-- just another list.

Where did they say the modifiers or the strike would be random? I think it's pretty reasonable to think the strike would be random, but the modifiers?

I think the curse of having mostly liked the game as it was when it came out means I'm going to be liking it less as they cave to everyone complaining about how obviously bad the game they keep playing is.

To me, the nightfall concept is good in theory but falls down in practice, especially for solo play. Surely you've been frustrated at spending a bunch of time on a nightfall only to have to start over, and then have it happen again and again. It's not much consolation that that's only not wasted time because you might get something randomly or you can have it as part of the grind for materials and currency. Not locking it to one strike each week gives more variety, something that even people who love the game have been wanting since day one. This will get me to play the nightfall more because I could rarely get people that wanted to do it with me and I could very rarely get through it alone. (This could've also been helped with a better way to connect people, like say a voice chat option everywhere.)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread