People are different. Probably best to accept that. (Destiny)

by Monochron, Friday, August 28, 2015, 12:47 (3165 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I think his point is that it's NOT an accomplishment. Hell, those 29s might have played more and been better players than you, you just got lucky drops that allowed you to get to 30 before them.

Like I said, this is nothing to do with the rate at which people get rewarded in the game. The point of investment systems (and why they are so wildly popular across different games) is that there is a concrete and visible result of the progress or time you put into the game. People appreciate when they are able to complete things (even if a part of that completion relied on RNG), and that's okay. By getting to the max level at some point you have still accomplished something (by putting in time, being somewhat decent at the game, and relying on RNG), even if you personally don't appreciate that accomplishment. Your caring or not caring about what level you are doesn't diminish others' caring of what they accomplished, or it shouldn't anyway. You can not care all your want, but telling other people they shouldn't enjoy what they see as an accomplishment is just strange.

Not trying to be a dick, I've just never really understood the attitude. It's the same thing as people who got Gjallarhorn being pissed when Xur sold it and saying, "Well I earned mine." No, you didn't. We literally did the exact same thing for months, you just go lucky.

I enjoy the competition between myself and my friends in life, and I find that competition in lots of different ways. Some of those accomplishment are a direct reflector of skill; I tend to care more about those. Some of those accomplishments reflect time put in rather than skill and, while I don't care as much about those, it's still fun to care along with my friends.
What you are talking about with Gjallarhorn is people putting other people down, rather than holding themselves up. I hope I am not putting anyone's enjoyment down, I'm just explaining where some of mine comes from.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread