People are different. Probably best to accept that. (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Friday, August 28, 2015, 13:07 (3166 days ago) @ Monochron

I think his point is that it's NOT an accomplishment. Hell, those 29s might have played more and been better players than you, you just got lucky drops that allowed you to get to 30 before them.

Like I said, this is nothing to do with the rate at which people get rewarded in the game. The point of investment systems (and why they are so wildly popular across different games) is that there is a concrete and visible result of the progress or time you put into the game. People appreciate when they are able to complete things (even if a part of that completion relied on RNG), and that's okay. By getting to the max level at some point you have still accomplished something (by putting in time, being somewhat decent at the game, and relying on RNG), even if you personally don't appreciate that accomplishment. Your caring or not caring about what level you are doesn't diminish others' caring of what they accomplished, or it shouldn't anyway. You can not care all your want, but telling other people they shouldn't enjoy what they see as an accomplishment is just strange.

Fair point. I really wasn't trying to be an ass. If that floats your boat, it doesn't affect me. Hell, I even agree to a certain extent. Getting a max level character does feel great, most of the time. It feels great in Destiny, too, but just not in the normal way (for me). In Destiny it's more of a relief, like, finally, now I can do the shit I want to do. In other games I feel like it's the direct result of my actions, the things I've done in the game world.

For me, in Destiny, it just doesn't feel like it's a result of anything I've done directly, other than putting lots of time into the game. But, it also doesn't bother me as it is. The game is fun, I would be playing regardless, so I don't care either way.

What you are talking about with Gjallarhorn is people putting other people down, rather than holding themselves up. I hope I am not putting anyone's enjoyment down, I'm just explaining where some of mine comes from.

I've never played with you, but no, you don't give that impression at all! I hope I didn't imply that. I guess maybe it's just the way I read your first post, as sort of lording your 30 over all the lowly 29s. I see now that's not what you meant at all.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread