Yikes. (Destiny)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Saturday, August 29, 2015, 02:45 (3165 days ago) @ stabbim

That... makes it like any other strike.

Uh, except for the modifiers.

So there's no XP buff

Yes there is, you just don't have to do the nightfall to get it.

If you don't need to do something to get it, it's not a buff. A buff is only relative to the baseline.

and now it requires 40, so I'm going to have to rank up six more levels before I can do it?

Yes, but... did you think you'd just be able to jump in to an endgame activity as a 34?

I didn't think I'd lose access to something I already had access to. When TDB launched all that was necessary to access the Omnigul strike was to complete Eris' quest. For weeks where the Nightfall was not the Omnigul strike, you could access it as usual.

Now, maybe it won't matter because doing the story missions in TTK will bring me from 34 to 40, and since you don't need gear drops to max out, it'll just happen. In a way that makes me sad, though, because I try not to rush through the new content and this means I have to if I don't want to miss out on a week's Nightfall.

Also, the Weekly gave me a chance to look at modifiers and the specific strike so I could decide whether or not I wanted to do it this week. Now it's just another playlist (like the other strike playlists I stopped playing months ago) and since I won't know what I'm getting, I'm not sure what the point is. When they added matchmaking I stopped playing Weeklies without a full fireteam. Now I guess I won't be playing them at all, since there's actually no strike to play-- just another list.

I guess. It's hard for me to get too worked up about that because I stopped playing weekly heroic strikes months ago. The time when I needed strange coins or Vanguard marks has long since passed.

For me, too. It's become more of a ritual to do them rather than for the rewards. I've maxed out on marks on all characters and I have over 200 coins. When we have a full fireteam looking for something to do, we look at what the weekly strike is and what the modifiers are and if it seems fun, we do it. Now we'll have no way of knowing-- we'll have to just try our luck.

I think the curse of having mostly liked the game as it was when it came out means I'm going to be liking it less as they cave to everyone complaining about how obviously bad the game they keep playing is.

The only thing I'm really not liking is the old gear not moving forward. What was the point of that whole etheric light thing in HoW if old gear was eventually going to be left behind anyway?

Most of the changes in this update just seem to be recognizing that some of us don't like feeling like we have to complete certain activities regularly in order to keep up. There was a time when that didn't bother me as much, but lately I'm realizing that Destiny (in its current form) is not a game that I can just jump into for 30 minutes a week.

Well, I think you can, but that would definitely be the low side.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread