Fixing end game progression in a game about progressing (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, November 28, 2015, 19:39 (3042 days ago)

Destiny is firmly rooted in and probably not changing from a game about investment. So why is the end game so bad in Taken King? There's an easy fix.

The problem is essentially you reach a point where you still need to progress, but can't because you are not getting the drops. You could get a drop, but the light level could be too low to matter. So, you can play and not progress at all.

Bungie should consider adopting a rule:

The player will always progress, no matter how small when they play.

How could they do that? Simple. Allow you to infuse lower level items into higher level items. It would take more (perhaps a lot more) to start leveling up the gun, but if you had a light progression bar on the guns similar to you have on your character, and infusing simply raised that up, it would go a long way.

The higher light level the gear you are infusing, the more the bar goes up. Now, no matter what you get, you always have something you can use, and you can still have the "fun" of getting good random drops.

I see no downside at all. It even adds more decision making. Do I use this to level up a weapon, or do I dismantle it for weapon parts? Etc.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread