Foom Hypothesis: Time til next expansion predicable by grind (Destiny)

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, February 29, 2016, 18:50 (3029 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Etheric light was WAY easier to come across than 320 gear is today. I play trials every single weekend and have gone to the lighthouse a bunch of times, yet I haven't gotten a single piece of 320 gear from Trials of Osiris (technically, I've never gotten anything above 314 from Trials). Meanwhile, a single trip to the lighthouse in Year 1 would net you 3 pieces of Etheric Light. That's 3 pieces of legendary gear instantly boosted to top level. On the flip side, it would take 3 320 primaries to infuse a new vendor legendary up to max level.

Aside from Trials, there were guaranteed ways to earn etheric light in year 1. Iron Banner packages & Prison of Elders, level 3 packages from Veriks, plus the occasional nightfall drop. I had weeks where I earned 10 or more pieces of etheric light. I'd wager there isn't a single player in the world who has earned 10+ pieces of 320 gear in a single week since TTK launched. I doubt it's even possible.

I just had a funny thought. It'd be fun to measure the grind necessary to reach max level & then correlate that to the time until the next expansion. Then with the next expansions we could (once we figure out how much grind is necessary) predict how long until we get meaningful new content.

I'll call this the Foom Hypothesis. (foom being moof backward, chosen for absolutely no reason).

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread