Interesting how experiences differ (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, February 29, 2016, 18:54 (3029 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I think I only earned like 3 pieces of Etheric Light during the House of Wolves. To me the new system seems more accessible because you have Iron Banner, SRL, Crimson Doubles, Trials of Osiris which can all drop high-level gear up to 320. Anything between 300-320 feels more like etheric light to me than strictly 320 level because items normally drop at less than 300.*

*emphasis mine

That's the differentiation between our experiences right there, I believe. If we consider "anything 300 and up" to be max level, then I agree with you. It seems easier to get level 300+ gear in TTK than it was to get Etheric Light in HoW. For some players (depending on the activities they like to do), being anywhere around level 300 is all they need.

For me, however, 300 is nowhere near high enough for the activities I enjoy. I spend most of my time playing Trials, Iron Banner, and Heroic King's Fall raids and challenges. That means I need gear in the 310-320 range, and lots of it, because I need to be able to spec out my characters in various different ways while still maintaining a high light level (at least 315ish).

For example, when I'm doing the Oryx heroic challenge mode, I want to make sure my characters can have extra heavy and sniper ammo, as well as bonus armor for my subclass. So when I'm acquiring new gear, there are some very specific perks I'm looking for on my boots, chest pieces, gloves, etc. When I finally do get the armor with the perks I want, they might be as low as 270 light level. That's a LONG WAY from usable for me. So I now need 3 or 4 pieces of 310-320 gear (of the same type) that I can use as infusion fodder just to bring it up to heroic raid level. That is a major pain in the butt compared to the 1 piece of Etheric Light I would have needed in the House of Wolves days.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread