Your questions answered - and more!

by The Lionheart ⌂, Savannah, GA, Tuesday, June 25, 2013, 15:57 (3958 days ago) @ DeeJ

You are absolutely right in that our E3 deliverable was light on story.
[...]
Those mysteries will drive the experience.

Thanks for answering, DeeJ. I am comforted to know that the plot & the straight-up "narrative" content that you guys are filling this universe with will not disappoint, but what I'm more curious about is... well, with the Halo universe, the creators/writers of that universe had so much more to express than a mere story about a cyborg soldier saving the world, alongside whatever pieces of dialogue or visual storytelling you might come across--what was handed to you was like the tip of the iceberg, whereas what awaited those who dug deeper on their own was like the REST of the iceberg.

They channeled Ender's Game with the SPARTAN-II program, you could hear the haunting reverberation of dark ritualistic chants from their channeling the Cthulu mythos into The Flood and its amazing Gravemind, they had things to say through their naming of AI's after legendary swords (used by Charlemagne, Roland, etc.) that are STILL not entirely understood in full, to name but a few connections picked up on by your fans. And this is not even mentioning the strong, lasting, and innumerable (both direct and indirect, as the film "Prometheus" recently pointed out) Biblical connections which have shaped the series for as long as it has been around and continue to provide hours of thought-provoking theorizing. Mendicant Bias's words alone, played backwards in several tracks in the Halo soundtracks, are a cornucopia of food for thought, with profound implications.

So THAT's more of what I was talking about; if I whip out my Google search, my Wikipedia, and open up conversation with other members of the hardest-core Bungie fans as I analyze the curious particulars of the content I come across (the seawall outside of New Mombasa and what it might say about the effect of climate change over the next 539 years... the degree to which humanity was unaware how badly we were losing the war with the Covenant... how the (false) Prophets used what was good and worthy of reverence and twisted it into something evil and worthy of hate--leading the galaxy in the slaughter of the children of the ones they so revered... so on and so forth), will there be much said by Bungie that is whispered rather than spoken? Will those who take the lore you guys create and savor it like a professional wine taster rather than scarfing it down like a broseph scarfing down a Whopper have at least as much available to them as they grew used to having with your previous universe?

Or are you guys so spread out from the incredible scale of your ambition that such a devotion to "plans within plans" and to layers of narrative within and beneath other narrative is just unrealistic at this point?

The ARG you guys put out stirred these ancient engines I'm talking about here to life (http://alphalupi.bungie.net/98862748014.jpg); but I don't yet know whether the rest of DESTINY will be able to measure up to it; the gameplay shown so far seems rather lighthearted (though now I've heard you say that this was intentional and the result of targeting only a very specific set of things to show). This is really the only thing I care about getting answers for, because everything else will come in its due time: I'm trying to figure out whether I should be getting my hopes up to invest myself heavily into another universe when I am already so, so heavily invested in your previous universe and what its creators had to say about life, death, and everything in between.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread