I'm confused about Kotaku. (Gaming)

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Wednesday, June 01, 2016, 23:15 (2904 days ago) @ Funkmon

I think you're right, Speedracer. I used to not like them whatever, but I've changed my mind. Now I merely mostly dislike them.

Kotaku, remarkably, does appear to do actual games journalism. Other game news outlets do press releases or do interviews with the community managers of game companies or other fluff pieces. It's all complete fluff. Kotaku, very rarely, has actual investigative reporting, and reports on leaks, as opposed to most other large video game news sites or magazines. It's worth giving them credit for.

Investigative reporting?

Come on.

I'll call it that the first time a game reviewer files a FOIA request. Until then, you gotta be kidding me. All the entertainment press is promotion and criticism. There's basically no need and no role for "investigative reporting" except possibly on the business side and labor relations.

On the other hand, basically without fail, the rest of the stuff posted there is genuinely awful to the point where I'm borderline offended.

That's true.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread