That is... a terrible analysis... (Gaming)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, June 02, 2016, 13:10 (2904 days ago) @ Kermit

And then Furiosa, THE STRONGEST FEMALE CHARACTER OF ALL TIME, gets her 1 and only moment to show any strength of character since the start of the film, but instead she gives up and decides to lead the other women to their deaths out in the desert until Max talks her out of it.

Because she's not a superhero or master strategist. She was a glorified Uber driver who knew the rules of the world that they lived in. Again, she wasn't even the leader of the group. Most of her plans went downhill, but working side by side with Max, they complemented each other enough to get ahead.

Agreed. None of which is remarkable or special or anything beyond every other lame action movie ever made. 2 tough people get together and fight better than the bad guys. Big deal :)

Eeeexcept that they kind of don't. Furiosa gets stomped and stabbed, Max gets tossed about like a ragdoll. The wives, the Vuvalini, and Nux all contribute to the group's success. It's a Mad Max-universe film that revolves around the War Rig, not Furiosa, not Max, not Nux, not the Wives, or Joe. It's a story about how characters interact in this world, edited and produced in a way that surpasses most of what Hollywood churns out each year.

In my repeated watchings of the film, I see the entire iceberg behind every scene now, not just the action on the screen, and that's something that very few movies have ever delivered.

I feel like you're kinda making my point for me, here. The anchor of the whole movie is not a character, it's a truck. There's just nobody and nothing worth caring about in the entire thing. I started off by saying that I think it is impeccably well made in terms of every aspect of the production. The stunts, costumes, cinematography, sound design, all top-notch. I just think it's a crappy, shallow story with nothing characters, and for me personally, strong characters are the absolute most important thing in any story. If I don't care about the characters, I'm not invested. And if I'm not invested, all the production values are essentially a huge waste for me. I watch MMFR and wish such care and thought and execution had gone into a movie that featured a story worth telling.

Reminds me of a certain video game. Yet, here we are.

Despite my pithy comment, I'll reiterate once more that I DID care about the characters so on a basic level, I don't agree with your analysis of the film.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread