"Destiny" (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 09:03 (2454 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

But it doesn't mean it isn't the destiny that Destiny is supposed to refer to, or that I haven't offered reasons for it. Humanity, the Guardians, your character, are all making choices- even if you, the player, can't really choose a different story, and your character's choices are largely made at the behest of others.

Right. And part of that is whether you decide to invest in a universe or not. I did like it in the Titan Strike where Zavala suggests that you turn back and your Ghost says that you are both going to continue because its your choice. Would have been a little better if it had been your Guardian, but I liked that small moment of determination regardless.

Part of Destiny, for better or worse, is a decision by Bungie to keep the player character mostly blank. It's not like this is a new thing for them. The Rookie in ODST barely had a backstory and Noble 6 had even less of one. Along with Destiny's Guardians, it's Bungie offering us the ability to make the character our own. Personally, I like defining a lot of who my Guardians are, but some may find it a chore or wish that there was more guidance as to their character, and that's fair too.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread