"Destiny" (Destiny)

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 11:55 (2454 days ago) @ Ragashingo

It is interesting that given the context here looking at blank slates for Bungie characters, reqlisitcally, that is usually the case. It has been ages since I played through any Marathon games, but I don't remember the agency of the Security Officer. And Master Chief, in the context of the games, is a mildly snarky blank slate soldier. So the Rookie and Six and in turn our Guardians all being blanks makes sense from the way Bungie games have always told stories.

In contrast, and often cited in these discussions, is Jack from Bioshock. He is literally a vessel to take the player along a story that questions our expectations of goal-oriented action and storytelling in games. Specifically in a single timeline. I think for that game, that if anyone somehow missed should still play as blind as possible, the way it accepts that it is a game is very important to its storytelling. And I think that is one of the stronger aspects, for me, in Destiny's storytelling. Even if just in the details. It allows for the same logic as movies which follow events making plans seem contrived (The Dark Knight, Goblet of Fire, Skyfall, Captain Americ: Civil War) wherein we are just watching those aspects of a plan that pertain to the story. I stated the parallel timelines thing in a post below, but i think it is important when wuestioning a game like this regarding preordinance and fated actions. We are seeing what is more-or-less a single thread in a blanket.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread