You didn't pay attention to the Matrix ;) (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, September 27, 2017, 14:38 (2454 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

As far as the Matrix is concerned, you're glossing over the point where the Oracle tells Neo that he is not "the one". Neo leaves his meeting with her believing he is just another guy. What happens next? He chooses to do the right thing, no matter the cost. He chooses to sacrifice himself in the hope of helping his friend. He stands up to the forces of evil/darkness/whatever you want to call it, and rather than run like everyone else does, he confronts it head on (this is spelled out quite literally, in his confrontation with Agent Smith).

In doing all this, Neo BECOMES the One. Heroic actions cannot take place if the hero knows they can't lose. If that's the situation, then they aren't a hero. Neo is put into a situation where he is fully aware of his vulnerability, but he chooses to act like a hero nonetheless.

I realize it's easy to forget they made sequels, but Reloaded and Revolutions make it clear Neo was 'always' the One. He didn't become the One because of that choice. You are also forgetting what the Oracle told Trinity regarding Neo (this is in the first movie).

And I did mention that very thing in my original post, because yes, it made the drama and catharsis of the story way better.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread