My fireteam's blind raid progress (no spoilers) (Destiny)

by Kahzgul, Thursday, September 28, 2017, 11:17 (2453 days ago) @ Pyromancy

I thought people might be interested in how long the raid has taken us, and how long it took us last night.

Week 1: We cleared one encounter per night for the first two nights, and then failed hard at the third encounter for two days before finally beating it. The final boss took us another 2 days and a very small pointer from a friend who had already done it, but other than that one clue we figured everything out for ourselves. There was also a fair amount of exploration done - this is a really fun raid to poke around in!

Week 2: Cleared the whole thing in 1 hour and 48 minutes.

Last night's run was by no means clean, and at one point we bugged out and had to fully return to orbit and come back in since the fight wouldn't respawn us after our wipe. 90 minute runs seem possible.

How can someone who is truly blind decide that they can write the official unofficial strategy guide for idiots after only 1 or 2 runs through the raid? (for the record I have not read the linked post, just noticed authors and find it interesting. Also have not read the remainder of this thread. I've become a careful clicker)

I'm still truly blind and I'm pretty sure that based on Destiny 1 Raids that after 1 or 2 runs I am not able to fully explain every aspect of the raid, each mechanic at work during gameplay, or each role necessary to beat the raid. (actually I'm not ever able to do that)
(not looking for a brow beating where you bring up your work history or professional credentials, you've made your past abundantly clear in prior posts)

I'm genuinely curious here
Is the raid really that short and simplistic?

So running blind means you have to figure out how the mechanics work. It's not going to result in a perfect strategy, but it will result in a very strong understanding of the mechanics of each fight. And the fights here are all mechanics-based fights (rather than DPS races, which we've seen in some other D1 raids). So if you get the mechanics, you win, plain and simple. Probably a raid full of 250 light people who got the mechanics could clear the whole thing in 2 hours.

Compare someone who ran the raid blind and figured out how everything works to someone who only followed instructions they read online. "Stand here and shoot this" is not nearly as informed as "stand here because X is important, then shoot this because Y, and also there's Z going on over there but you shouldn't need to worry about that unless someone dies, etc."

My "unofficial official strategy guide" as you put it (thanks!) is really, *really* bare bones. It's a lot of "stand here and shoot this" instructions, and not a lot of "let me explain why X is important and how this mechanic really works." I've given you practical instructions without any of the context or theory, specifically because I was asked for really simple "do what when" type instructions. It's very possible, even *likely* that someone else does something different, and possible that the different thing they do is more effective. My strategy is just what my raid group came up with on our own. We think it's really good. But it might not be.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread