Weapon slot improvements (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, January 12, 2018, 10:43 (2357 days ago) @ Durandal

I don't think they will move back to OHK weapons in the energy or primary slot. This was the prime source of balance issues in D1. You could never improve HCs, ARs, Pulse or Scouts enough to make them competitive with snipers or shotguns in the chosen field.

The few that did get there, Suros, TLW and Thorn, were overly broken and dominated until getting nerfed into oblivion.

This just gets back to the whole "separate PvP and PvE weapons" argument. I think you are right in your assessment. Personally, I don't think it is worth sacrificing the PvE game to preserve the PvP game, which is the way D2 is leaning at the moment.

I think the D1 Special concept isn't workable in a PVP environment along with more normal TTK guns. That seems born out with Titanfall, COD and BF both conspicuously avoiding adopting that setup even while they stole other ideas.

I don't play much BF or COD these days, but Titanfall has 1-hit kill weapons in the PRIMARY weapon slot. The difference is the 1-hit kill weapons are actually balanced properly (deadly in very specific ranges, totally useless outside those ranges), AND the player movement speed is so fast that you actually have a fair chance at avoiding snipers and shotgun rushers. Movement speed in Destiny is so slow that you rarely have time to avoid a sniper who has their sights trained on you.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread