on Dishonored... (Off-Topic)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, January 29, 2018, 14:37 (2272 days ago) @ Kermit

Dishonored is a vastly superior game when played as a stealth game, though much of its design pushes you towards murdering everyone.

I hear good things about this. Can I play 2 without playing the first one?

You can, but honestly if you're up for stealth, even though Dishonored has that gameplay built in, as Kahzgul has mentioned, the game really doesn't want you to. It is a bleak and bloodthirsty game. If you want to play purely stealth, expect the game to fight you in ever so subtle and not so subtle ways. I, myself, could never get into it because of this.

The mark seems to be very much like the ring of power.

There's some truth to this. It's easy to commit acts of violence. I realized this when I accidentally decapitated someone in one of the early missions. But being stealthy even most of the time pays off in terms of the gameplay and the narrative.

Ultimately, Dishonored is a great game full stop however you play it.

This. There are some very crowded species in the game. It is very easy to kill quickly in a variety of ways. There is even a perk that will have the bodies you kill, but not knock out, evaporate away. It's all aimed towards killing, and quickly.

To be non lethal, you have far fewer options. You have the never-enough knock out arrows, if you can get some height you can jump and quickly knock out people, or you can pick up an object and throw it and hope it knocks out and doesn't kill. Yet most of the time I found that you have to go behind and hold the button for a few seconds. It is unlike every other move in the game, which is generally speedy, as this non-lethal move is a slog. This kills the flow. When I'm being stealthy, I get in and get out as I need to. The game fights that in its design.

Don't get me wrong, it's obviously a stellar game. It's all about your style of play. I enjoy what the most recent Splinter Cell calls "Panther", yet in the Non-Lethal sense. A.K.A - THE BATMAN! I enjoy clearing the board without being detected. Yet if you prefer "Ghost" then Dishonored does allow that in its Gameplay.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread