on Tomb Raider (Off-Topic)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, January 30, 2018, 09:28 (2272 days ago) @ stabbim
edited by Korny, Tuesday, January 30, 2018, 09:39

Tomb Raider 2013 is just wonderful. I haven't played the sequel yet - I have it, but I've been saving it for after I finish some other things.

But that first game. The story, particularly the development of Lara's character, is extremely well done. You go on a journey with her as she believably transitions from being as overwhelmed and frightened as anyone would be, to finding the grit to pull through where almost anyone else would have fallen.

That first game is really special. It gave me a moment of pause when she hit that turning point, where rather than being hunted, she was feared; where the enemy freaked out as she picked up a grenade launcher, and she shouted out to taunt them. That clueless college girl who was shivering in the cold, desperate to start a fire was long gone.

Issa great game. Shame the sequel wasn't anywhere near as impactful, and her characterization (and pretty much the entire cast) was thrown out the window. Still good gameplay-wise, but that first game stands apart.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread