Not Marathon Infinity... (Gaming)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, June 11, 2018, 12:25 (2145 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I hate that it feels like the internet bullied 343i into moving back to the old art style. Did they do it because they wanted to, or did they do it because they feel like they need to to make the internet happy. If you’re a fan of something and spend all your time bitching about a new art style or story direction or whatever else, seriously fuck off. It’s happening with Halo, Destiny, Star Wars, just about everything. There’s voicing your criticism, but at a certain point it’s better if you just recognize the series went a direction you don’t like and move on. I’d much rather see a product made with passion, even if I don’t love it, versus a product designed just to make people happy.

All that said, I’m not trying to imply that 343i isn’t passionate or dedicated or excited about this new vision. They probably are! I just hate feeling like the artists and designers are bowing to a bunch of internet fuckwits that throw tantrums because they don’t like something. Even if that’s not what happened, look at the attitude of people about this. Hell, look at the posts on HBO. It’s all “I’m glad 343i realized their shit sucked,” and I just can’t get behind that attitude. And that will always be the narrative now—that 343i fucked up, when what really happened is a bunch of manbabies can’t move on when they don’t like something.

I strongly disliked just about everything 343i did to Halo. The art style, the revised Forerunner, the bringing in of a new Spartan team, the Hunt The Truth marketing that lied about the direction of the game. But I also almost entirely moved on. I haven't made a post at HBO in a long time. Maybe years. I saw Halo as a thing that changed too much for me to love so I found something new and didn't bother those that liked the new direction.

Am I too an internet fuckwit? Or is there room for people like me who are happy to see a return of the style we grew up with and loved? I'm fine with disliking people who hang around just to complain, but I think you have to allow and respect those that stated their dislike then went somewhere else.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread