Fan Communication (Gaming)

by EffortlessFury @, Saturday, July 07, 2018, 18:05 (2113 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Not to bee too pedantic, but special treatment itself, the treatment of women as too delicate to take direct criticism, is patronizing and something that a lot of women I know dislike in criticism I previously provide them. Hence it being nebulous. But the phrasing, if it were directed at me, would likely be taken as condescending at best. Especially when one suggests that a disagreement with the core supposition of a statement is an over-emphaitically-minor disagreement.

Regardless of external history I would still consider the gender-coded language choice to be questionable. And a reaction to it definitely not a firing offense regardless. I won’t go so far to suggest a male developer would have been let off more lightly, but the volatility in gaming against women in general is still pretty rampant and it sets a worrisome precident.

See I suppose I empathize; many of the women in my life up until quite recently implicitly trained me to be this way. Just as there are plenty of women who hate being spoken to with overly cautious language there are also plenty who almost require it, otherwise they "go off the handle." And frankly, this dichotomy isn't exclusive to women; men are also like this. Humans are like this. (There is of course the grey-scale gradient between the two in reality)

And I'll also point out that a man was fired over this too...so...I don't know if we can look at this through the lens of "how would a man/woman be treated in a situation." The situation is a bit unique.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread