Fan Communication (Gaming)

by EffortlessFury @, Sunday, July 08, 2018, 01:55 (2119 days ago) @ Harmanimus

And frankly, this dichotomy isn't exclusive to women; men are also like this. Humans are like this.

Ahh, yes. This is a very important consideration. This is why I tend to advocate for plain language in criticism. Clarity is the utmost and dressing it up (in sugar or spice) is generally a bad way to approach. But in that same regard of balancing so should ones empathy.

And I'll also point out that a man was fired over this too...so...I don't know if we can look at this through the lens of "how would a man/woman be treated in a situation." The situation is a bit unique.

From what I had heard it seemed more like the firing on him wasn't for "the same situation" so much as "all parties involved." Carpet bombing, if you will. Because the situation isn't a man responding to criticism on twitter as the catalyst to the event I would agree that it isn't something easy to compare.

It will always be a long way for humans and communication. I actually only responded again because your use of the word empathy. Made me think of a recent TED Talk (How technology can fight extremism and online harassment - Yasmin Green, if you're interested) discussed using machine learning to contextually proofread and provide feedback on how comments online might be taken in and out of context. It's from the latter portion of the talk. It seems like it may have helped here.

Appreciate the link, will take a look for sure! I'm also an advocate for clear, open communication. I'm simply noting that I'm historically familiar with the gut instinct to pad everything I say with nice fluffy white pillows. While I speak I'm always evaluating how what I'm saying can be taken and trying to point those things out if I think that they might think I mean something different. It's not as efficient as being able to iterate and revise on my thoughts until I speak a well designed sentence, but at least it's self-aware.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread