Whoa whoa whoa. (Destiny)

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, August 08, 2018, 13:02 (2090 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Or, I don't know, keep being snarky about how unreasonable it is that Bungie made levels that are actually a bit challenging to play on your own. (I found that refreshing, to be honest.)

Hang on, hang on, hold the hell up. First off, I'm not being "snarky" about anything, or to anyone—so we can just nip that weed right now.

Secondly, I love campaign and single player story/content. It's where I perform my best, try my hardest and achieve the most. That's why most of my games are usually single player; that's why I still frequently play Destiny 1; that's the only reason I'm picking up Halo 6. I start games off Easy, but I do enjoy a challenge--something that keeps me on my toes and fills me with even more satisfaction that I was able to complete something like that, especially on my own. You can look at my Destiny 1 Service Record and Game History. Other than Heroic Strikes—because I don't have a choice—every challenging activity that can reasonably be done: Daily Heroic, Challenge of Elders, Nightfall—I all do by myself. Those provide the story I like, the adversity I fight, and the entertainment I enjoy.

Daily Heroic Stories are challenging.
Heroic Strikes are challenging.
Nightfall is hard, but challenging.

Solstice is redefining the term 'unbalanced'. A challenging mission or level or whatever is supposed to make environments, enemies or goals harder, not force you to make yourself weaker. They don't even drop your light level--you have to put on Common armor to lower it yourself! Yes, I was recently made aware that you can change your armor to your liking once you land, but that still doesn't justify the fact that this kind of measure is what they expect. I've never seen a mission in Destiny that says 'You're too powerful to complete this mission, you must drop down to a low level to play it'.

Come to think of it, off the top of my head I can't even think of a GAME that requires you to weaken a character in order to progress forward. From what I've experienced in my life, the game either strengthens its enemies to make a decent fight, or even better—leave them the way they are to let the player keep their power and fight through previously difficult battles with ease! How the hell is first going through a mission for the first time, never letting us play it again, and then making us drop to our lowest to play a triple strength version "challenging"?

I am expressing frustration in the poor choices and decisions made as of late by this company, and the unsatisfactory results of no longer enjoying an activity I used to enjoy. Or in the terms of Destiny, one that I was allowed to enjoy. I'm not sending death threats or posting rage streams. I'm not standing outside their building with my arms out and tears in my eyes whimpering for hugs. My anger may manifest in sarcasm, but only because that's what it's starting to feel like to me; just some cruel joke.

True, it is more fun to do single player activities with friends, but it should be possible to do it alone. Some people don't have time. Some people don't have the equipment or internet they need. Some people don't even have friends. That Reddit guy posts a solution to beat all the single player missions, and then they ALL require a fireteam. That defeats the purpose of the single-player mission. I want to be challenged, not robbed of my ability to defend myself.

We need Story remixes with higher light, not restrictive limits punishing us for what we were meant to do in the first place. (Then pile higher light on top of that.) To paraphrase an old song, that's like making a soldier drop his gun, shooting him, and making him fight while bleeding out.

And it's not necessary to be condescending to me like I'm afraid of difficulty. I may not be an 'All-Raid Bosses Solo' player, but I'm a damn good campaign player. I think I've proven that plenty of times by now. But if multiple players are required to cheese a single player experience, then why bother calling it single player?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread