Destiny in 2019 (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, March 25, 2019, 19:04 (1850 days ago)
edited by Ragashingo, Monday, March 25, 2019, 19:21

Last year, when this happened, the main things I remember was how neat it was that the story team was made available to attendees based on requests, and how infuriating it was that Escalation Protocol was made more difficult based on the feedback of those with the time to attend a Bungie Community Summit, especially when some of that difficult was almost immediately scaled back due to complaints from most of the player base. So, this year, I thought it might be interesting to write up some feedback of my own and invite other DBOers to do the same.

Story

In general, the last year has been a very good one for Destiny in terms of story. It feels like questions are being answered. The places we get to explore are more novel and relevant than ever before. And that both the in-game and Lore based storytelling has accelerated nicely especially since Forsaken.

In particular, both the Tangled Shore and Dreaming City were beautiful locations that seemed to hold a stronger sense of "these places have meaning and character built into their foundations." I loved the Tangled Shore's pancake layering of structures below, and above, and below as you passed between the various layer. And, of course, the Dreaming City is just a marvel to behold with the specific location-based lore snippets being given out by the Techeuns being a fun way to highlight some of the spaces/

Weaving in important characters like Cayde-6, Petra Venj, and Mara Sov and making them more part of the spaces instead of simply cutscene characters was a big step in the right direction.

The Lore team is killing it. Not that Destiny's lore wasn't good before, but now it seems like we are getting more of it on a regular basis. There are so many good stories and story threads now!

All in all, the stories being told during Forsaken and its seasons have been very interesting and most feel like they will have deliberate direct impacts on Destiny's future content.

That said, there are two areas I hope to see improved upon:

Gameplay

In general I don’t have a lot of specific good things to day about Destiny 2’s gameplay because it feels like all of it is in a pretty good place as it is. If anything, gameplay of Destiny is stronger than it’s ever been. Missions feel more diverse and epic than before. Allies and set pieces like friendly ships and bombing runs and npcs actively holding defensive positions give more life to the world. Strikes, Missions, and Raids are seeing good variety and challenge. There are a few sore points I would like to point out, though. Just a few places I wish Destiny could improve to help adjust the balance between classes:

Grind and Release Cycles

In a lot of ways, Destiny 2 is in good standing with me with regards to grind. We’re long past the days where you could not advance your Light Level except by doing a very limited number of activities or a Raid. Most of the time, if you are playing Destiny and keeping even just half an eye on the Powerful Rewards on offer when you play you will advance your Power Level. Things like Clan Rewards and “play one match of this or that” type Bounties mean it’s actually pretty hard to stagnate your Power Level even if you have a limited amount of time to play. But, again, there are a few places I’d love to see further improvement:

So, that's my take. Perhaps some of you would like to consider where Destiny is right now and where you wish to see it go. Certainly, feel free to respond to anything I've said, but I'd kinda like to get ya'lls freestanding takes on Destiny 2 in 2019.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread