Destiny in 2019 (Destiny)

by Oholiab @, Tuesday, March 26, 2019, 13:39 (1829 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I haven’t really engaged with The Reckoning, because I have to get back on the treadmill to do so, and, frankly, I don’t want to. But now we’ve reached the point where I’m an actual liability in Gambit Prime because I don’t have those perks and I’m underpowered against invaders, so I don’t do that either.

I'm in the same boat - and I was in this boat with the Black Armory "expansion". I never even did all the forges.

I still wish they’d kill the soft cap. Make every purple engram a +1 to your average power level. So it won’t be guaranteed to help, but, eventually you’ll still be powering up just from playing whatever you want to play. Keep the milestone system as it is. Make the power tier Powerful Engrams a guaranteed +1 to whichever slot it drops for, make the higher tier Powerfuls either a guaranteed +3 for a slot, or a +5 to your average. Milestones are then still the best way to power up, but they won’t be literally the only way. The current system is complete garbage, especially considering that there’s no path forward if you’re not just grinding old content week after week.

I like this idea - play as you want and still progress.

I'm not a game designer, but I'm sure some of the reasoning behind the use of a specific activity to accomplish progression is to funnel a larger portion of the player base into said activity. With so much to do on Destiny, is there a risk of not having critical mass in some activities?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread