I hate posting this--Datto's new video on PvP and Supers (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Monday, July 29, 2019, 20:44 (1726 days ago)

Datto posted a new video, in which he rants about broken supers. It's no secret that I hate Datto. I hate that Bungie seems to listen to him, as I don't agree with him often. I don't completely agree with a lot of this video, either, but he does make some good points (even if he sounds like a whiny child while he makes them).

He spends the first half of the video complaining about roaming supers and power ammo in Crucible and Gambit. I think the roaming supers are too strong, for sure, and it does sucks that games against competent teams can turn into them just chaining supers on you for six minutes. I'm all for toning it down. But holy hell, they are not as bad as everyone wants to make them seem. He highlights the problem in his video (although not intentionally): whenever an enemy pops a super, everyone runs! They scatter, and let the enemy super pick them off one by one. It's inevitable. If people learned to stand their ground with their team and all shoot the glowy dude, they die pretty damn fast still. We pulled off some really great super shutdowns without counter-supers or abilities over the last week of Iron Banner. It's definitely possible. It's not the easiest thing in the world, but it shouldn't be incredibly easy, either.

The later part of his video is the part I actually really agree with. Well of Radiance is straight up the worst super that's ever been in Destiny. It's just boring. Here, stand on this glowy thing and shoot the boss with Whisper (DARCI now, I guess, or a grenade launcher) until it dies. That's not exactly engaging. And, like Whisper itself, it's made it so that bosses are either incredibly easy with it, or they straight up require the use of it. As much as I love them, it's the same problem Orpheus Rigs have. I think exotics that grant super energy back just shouldn't exist.

I get that this game is partly about the power fantasy, but it feels like the focus is drifting farther away from actual player skill and good play, and rather just on making sure you have the supers that can give you infinite orbs and huge damage modifiers.

I have no doubt that finding a balance is difficult in this regard, but I do think it's something Bungie really needs to work on.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread