I hate posting this--Datto's new video on PvP and Supers (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, July 30, 2019, 12:20 (1725 days ago) @ Claude Errera

As a Bungie Dev said to me not too long ago, “if people want to play a game where the better player always wins, then Destiny is NOT for them”. For my taste, that’s awful.

This statement has been true forever, in terms of Bungie games (it was true of Marathon, it was probably true of Myth, it was true of Halo, and it's true of Destiny) It would have been true of Oni, if the multiplayer had ever gotten good enough to be released.

And while I totally get where you're coming from, I wouldn't have played ANY of these games if it hadn't been true.

I'll be sad if you actually quit playing PvP. :(

Do you not find that specific statement is a lot more true now than ever before?

I LOVED BTB in Halo 2-Reach. It had a lot of crazy stuff going on with vehicles and heavy weapons all over the map. Every now and then someone would climb in a tank and go on an absolute tear. But there were far more occasions where an enemy tank would be rolling around and I, without any teamwork or communication, could throw together a plan to take it out. It wouldn’t work every time, but I usually felt like I had a reasonable chance of out-playing my opponent, even if the odds were in their favour. There would be some aspect of the terrain that would allow me to sneak up and get close for a highjack, or a power weapon somewhere on the map that I could conceivably get to. There were usually options. And on the flip side, the enemy player in the tank needed to consider those potential counters, and actively work to negate them in order to maintain the advantage that the tank could provide.

In Destiny, none of there just isn’t that strategic layer. You just press 1 button and the player(s) in front of you dies, near instantaneously. It is possible to screw up with your super, and it is sometimes possible for the enemy to effectively counter (usually with a super of their own). It just all feels so thin and thoughtless and spammy to me. And again, I’m totally cool with a bit of that. But IB matches now consistently devolve into bouts of trying to out spawn-camp each other with roaming supers. It doesn’t always happen, but frequently enough to ruin much of the overall experience for me. Which is a shame, because there is a lot about D2 PvP that I really enjoy.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread