I hate posting this--Datto's new video on PvP and Supers (Destiny)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, July 30, 2019, 10:02 (1732 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Personally, I like the feel of supers because it honestly feels makes me feel like I'm helping the team. I'm not the best at gun play so ability use levels the playfield for me. Some might say that this is a First Person Shooter, but I think it's way more than that.

Yeah my problem with it is not a lack of balance between the classes, it’s that supers IMO are not fun or rewarding gameplay. It’s just spammy and cheap. I get the idea of giving players a moment to feel extra powerful, and I can tolerate or even enjoy that dynamic in small doses, but Destiny PvP at the moment has slammed waaaaay too far in the other direction for my taste. And I believe it’s done specifically to negate skill gaps. It is actively working against players being rewarded for playing more skillfully than their opponents. I’m not saying that a better team won’t win more often than lesser-skilled opponents. But to do so, they need to overcome the great equalizer of all these rampant insta-kill abilities that are disproportionately low risk/high reward. It’s Destiny’s version of rubber-banding in Mario Kart.

I guess this is just where the casual player is getting rewarded. Which is kinda funny for how much we bash Bungie for how much listen to the streamers instead of us casuals.

As a Bungie Dev said to me not too long ago, “if people want to play a game where the better player always wins, then Destiny is NOT for them”. For my taste, that’s awful.

Honestly, I wish there was an easy way for us both to be happy. But I also don't know how that can be easily balanced in the Destiny meta.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread