I hate posting this--Datto's new video on PvP and Supers (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, July 30, 2019, 08:59 (1731 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Plus several of the roaming supers have gotten significantly stronger since year 1. Middle tree Nightstalker was near unstoppable for 6 months, and it’s still very strong. Bottom tree Striker is able to go crashing into an enemy spawn and get a bunch of kills, then run all the way over to the other spawn and catch the enemies appearing there too (on some maps). And bottom tree dawn blade now moves much faster than it used to, plus the homing fire bursts... it’s crazy.

I'm not going to argue with the fact that there are some good roaming supers. I will say that at least everyone class has one that is good. That hasn't been true in the past where one class was just locked into being left out of the awesome super meta.

Add all the other insta-kill supers into the mix, and the crucible has become an absolute shit show.

I honestly think it's great that there are supers that can instant kill roaming supers, it adds to the rock paper scissors of supers.

*edit*

Just as an example, it is not at all uncommon for an enemy to kill me with there super (starting the chain reaction of supers going off) and then my next 4-6 deaths are all from enemy supers. It’s just a shitty feeling to go up against opponents and outplay them in every gunfight, and then get steamrolled by a bunch of win buttons.

That is always a shitty feeling. But as I mentioned above, everyone has one of those awesome supers and both teams are totally capable of doing it. I understand people not liking that style of play, but no one should feel it's unfair. Gun skill is one thing, proper use of supers and team orb collection is another. Maybe it should be more balanced so there isn't a constant string of supers, but if you don't like it then use a counter super and be better at gun play so you get your super first :D

Personally, I like the feel of supers because it honestly feels makes me feel like I'm helping the team. I'm not the best at gun play so ability use levels the playfield for me. Some might say that this is a First Person Shooter, but I think it's way more than that.

Yeah my problem with it is not a lack of balance between the classes, it’s that supers IMO are not fun or rewarding gameplay. It’s just spammy and cheap. I get the idea of giving players a moment to feel extra powerful, and I can tolerate or even enjoy that dynamic in small doses, but Destiny PvP at the moment has slammed waaaaay too far in the other direction for my taste. And I believe it’s done specifically to negate skill gaps. It is actively working against players being rewarded for playing more skillfully than their opponents. I’m not saying that a better team won’t win more often than lesser-skilled opponents. But to do so, they need to overcome the great equalizer of all these rampant insta-kill abilities that are disproportionately low risk/high reward. It’s Destiny’s version of rubber-banding in Mario Kart.

As a Bungie Dev said to me not too long ago, “if people want to play a game where the better player always wins, then Destiny is NOT for them”. For my taste, that’s awful.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread