I hate posting this--Datto's new video on PvP and Supers (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, July 30, 2019, 14:03 (1730 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Honestly, I think you’re focusing a bit too much on a single worst case encounter. Just some questions that come to mind:

Why did the enemy have their Super and you didn’t have yours? Did you just get through wiping their team with your Super? Is your opponent outgunning your team so he got his Super first? Is his build Super focused and yours focuses on something like grenades that you’ll end up using a lot more often? Was your play really as good as you thought it was? We’re you baited in close? Is your load out geared to close range combat making you powerful but also vulnerable? Did you break cover for a sure kill only to have the tables turned on you?

Point is, focusing on a single encounter does make Supers appear broken, but a whole lot goes into why someone has a Super ready and why it is effective given your position and weapons. Really, I dislike the notion that Supers are just a skill-less win buttons. They are powerful, but even in the worst cases you’re only getting nuked because that player held off nuking you in other encounters. Or he was already outplaying your team using normal gun skills and his superior skill gave him another advantage over you. And even when it’s just a newb throwing a tracking Nova Bomb at you, it’s only one out of twenty to forty encounters you’ll have in a single match. Things not going your way is just gonna happen from time to time when you put players up against other players.

I do hear you about Super frequency, though. To me that’s just a different sort of issue from losing any given battle to a Super. Like you, I’d love a slower paced mode. I’d love a new Trials mode where the rules and fewer players make Super good usage more important and more costly. I’d even be for a return to a somewhat slower paced Crucible in general similar to what we had with D2 at launch. Less Supers, less power weapons, less insta-kill abilities.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread