I hate posting this--Datto's new video on PvP and Supers (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, July 30, 2019, 05:29 (1725 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by CruelLEGACEY, Tuesday, July 30, 2019, 05:35

Personally, I think supers really are as bad as he makes them out to be. It’s gotten to the point where I’m thinking I just might be done with crucible. I play competitive(ish) shooters because I want to competitively shoot weapons, not deal with chaining, spawn-killing supers for 6 minutes straight.

I doubt it will ever happen, but I’d be thrilled if we got a mode that didn’t have supers at all. They’re the least fun, least rewarding part of the PvP game, IMO.

I can’t speak to the situation now, as I haven’t played the game since December.

But from before, I found supers very rewarding. You could make a great play and turn around a competitive game with yours, and monitoring and planning around who on the enemy team had their supers was a really interesting variable to how you approach play, especially in countdown.

The situation is a fair bit different these days. 6v6 (on maps designed for 4v4) means more orb generation within a team, more spawn camping, and even straight-up spawning in front of an enemy who’s already firing in your direction.

Plus several of the roaming supers have gotten significantly stronger since year 1. Middle tree Nightstalker was near unstoppable for 6 months, and it’s still very strong. Bottom tree Striker is able to go crashing into an enemy spawn and get a bunch of kills, then run all the way over to the other spawn and catch the enemies appearing there too (on some maps). And bottom tree dawn blade now moves much faster than it used to, plus the homing fire bursts... it’s crazy.

Add all the other insta-kill supers into the mix, and the crucible has become an absolute shit show.

*edit*

Just as an example, it is not at all uncommon for an enemy to kill me with there super (starting the chain reaction of supers going off) and then my next 4-6 deaths are all from enemy supers. It’s just a shitty feeling to go up against opponents and outplay them in every gunfight, and then get steamrolled by a bunch of win buttons.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread