eye roll (Gaming)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, December 02, 2019, 20:08 (1618 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

We're being taught that we can't understand anyone who doesn't share our identity, and the double-bind is that we're told we should identify even while we're told we can't.

Good post. I want to pluck this out and address it with a personal story.

Currently when it comes to the "culture wars" or whatever I live under a very comfortable rock. That said, my spouse has dealt with a chronic illness (lupus) for the past ten years so I've gotten quite a bit of experience on empathizing with her and her situation. It's very, very difficult to do but I got pretty OK with it.

This past year I was diagnosed with a chronic disease of my own (type 1 diabetes). We've switched roles and I have to say the understanding and wisdom between us has grown by leaps and bounds. Wild shit, I tell you.

You really can't judge someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. When it comes to gender and identity, I like to think we're just learning how difficult it is. In the end, absolutely worth it.

It's good to be under the rock. Sorry for your troubles, my friend. Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds, a wise man once said. My best to you both.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread