eye roll (Gaming)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, December 04, 2019, 09:43 (1616 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm not sure what you mean exactly, but if you mean male protagonists that show their feminine side, I can list many sensitive male protagonists dating back 50 years or more. Holden Caulfield, call your office.

Lol. Holden was absolutely not a role model, and the whole point of the book was to show he was kind of shit and needed to grow up.

A-ha! You just explained why he was a role model for me. :) I'm smiling, but I'm making a serious point.

Lest anyone try to read between the lines and attribute all kinds of crap to me, I believe all people should be treated with respect. I don't care for exploitive media, but i also think we can easily err in over emphasizing its effect on behavior. I don't think most media makes us shoot or rape each other, and I think most of us can tell the difference between fantasy and reality.

It's more subtle than that. It's the accumulation of cultural ideas and attitudes expressed in media that get reinforced. And yes, over time this does affect you.

Probably so, but much depends on what "it" is. If "it" includes the notion that human history simply consists of a nefarious patriarchy that subjugated women, then yes, I think "it's" more subtle than that.

You originally brought up an interesting point. Your assumption of who (and by implication, how many) would dislike playing as Alyx is what stopped me. I see this kind of characterization a lot. Everyone who disagrees with me is throwing fits, blowing dogwhistles, or they are idiots clutching at pearls. It makes actual debate difficult.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread