More bugs that affect the artists (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Monday, December 09, 2019, 14:40 (1596 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Not exactly. The ghosting or double-vision issues I was talking about with Reach just look like a flat-out mistake or problem to me. You can freeze-frame Reach footage and literally see 2 images of a spartan as its moving overlayed on top of each other.

No, I understand that. That's a different thing. That's the temporal anit-aliasing, which is gone now. The ambient occlusion is different. The edges of geometry in the original Reach look much "softer," for lack of a better term. The new Reach is similar to your example with the wall in TLoU Remastered. The edges of the geometry are much more defined, and they look a little less natural than they used to, much more obviously like video game geometry. It's a testament to Bungie's design that it still looks fantastic and fairly real, but it would look better with the proper ambient occlusion.

If you're interested, here's the Digital Foundry video. I think Cody is vastly overstating how big of a deal this is (as it still looks great, and it's much easier to pick this stuff apart when just watching a video, and it's much less noticeable when actually playing the game), but I do think it could look better if this stuff was working correctly. I think depth of field is even more important than ambient occlusion in terms of keeping the aesthetics of the original game. It was used heavily, especially in cutscenes in the original version of the game, and it's basically completely gone from the MCC version.

The stuff I'm talking about starts at 10:49. There's also a sound comparison that starts right at 15:00.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread