One Year Anniversary (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, January 05, 2020, 15:07 (1534 days ago) @ squidnh3

I don't think you are parsing the thesis properly. The raids are not the only part of the game.

Hilariously, I had originally typed 'Destiny' rather than 'raids', but then thought to myself, "Cody doesn't care about anything but raids, I'll be more specific."

Rereading the article doesn't change my question. How is separating 'Dresstiny' from Destiny a bad thing from your viewpoint? (Just to be clear, I can easily see how it's a bad thing from the viewpoint of others, just not you)

It's bad because many activities have incorporated 'frictions' so that merely playing the game to get bright dust and buy what you want is practically impossible. Frictions you face even if you have no interest in bright dust. Any store in which the items can be purchased for either real money or for in game currency necessarily involve a compromise to game design.

This is why the "it's optional" argument is bullshit. It must necessarily effect those who don't pay, because the whole point of the frictions is to convince you to pay.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread