Obelisk Mods and Team Buffs (Destiny)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 12:33 (1527 days ago) @ Malagate

I love nothing in Destiny so much as a team buff, except a stack of them all at once. I’m going to go deep into the weeds on my current setup, but I’d like to hear from other folks on what they use and why, and hopefully we can start running some reciprocally beneficial builds to make endgame activities (or maybe even PvP) feel like easy mode.

So over the weekend as I was completing the grind for all of my Notorious Titan armors, I got to fiddling with a build that got me to finally commit to using Obelisk Mods. Now, I watched the Aztecross video here, and while I don't disagree with much of his criticism, I think that the system is probably just fine as it is. Something for the gear tuners, as it were. On further playtesting, I don't even think the elemental affinity is a bridge too far, but I understand they plan to remove that anyway.

Currently, my Titan is using Phoenix Cradle on bottom tree hammers. Typically this is a tree I steer clear of, but I think I've finally figured it out. If I nail a sticky kill, I get a long-lasting fire tornado that buffs my teammates. This also means that my own grenade damage is nullified against me, so I can CQC-sticky enemy after enemy. So you can see why I like this so much in Reckoning. We get a wall of flames that keeps out most adds and buffs us all at the same time.

So I realized that maximizing my discipline along with running two weapons with demolitionist will keep me in grenades most of the time already, but Firepower (which returns a portion of grenade energy when throwing grenades while Charged with Light) makes this even easier. Add to that two different ways to become Charged with Light (via picking up orbs and performing finishers), and we have most of a monster machine.

Has anyone else played with the new mods? Thoughts? Suggestions for builds that buff each other across the fireteam?

First, I would like to note that we actually had a light discussion about this a little over a month ago. Perhaps this can be the follow up, eh Squid?

Despite my theorycrafting in the aforementioned thread, I've not really played with this Obelisk mod system much, as I've found it too expensive to really work into. For starters it requires (currently) this seasons armor to use. These armors thus far have dropped with below par stats for me. Since I've yet to get a stat drop I've liked from any of the countless drops I've had, I've just sharded them. I should note that I've not played much pinnacle stuff this season, so that in part may be why, presuming any of the pinnacle drops comes with this seasons slot. I'm not sure right now as I type this.

But wait... I'm not done...

On top of THAT, the cost of the Obelisk mods cost detract from other builds I've already made. The max pool is 10, and that pool is rare from cost. So...5 or such, maybe 7. Therefor, the mods need to bring something to the table that is greater then what I lose. Each segment is precious. The Artifact for example gives me faster enhanced reloads for cheap (from 5 generally to 2 or 3 with the artifact mods as I recall). That's worth use and is a solid return. Again the max pool is 10. A number of the Obelisk mods take away an extra chunk from your stats, which makes them particularly expensive to me.

And on top of THAT, these seasonal mods NEED the use of multiple armors for them all to work together, with the restriction of elements affinities to boot.

It's just a no go for me, even though I want to play with it. These things I listed I want to poke with, but it just doesn't seem worth even to try, which SUCKS! Love the idea, but the seasons execution is just completely lousy for me. It's just too expensive.

Sidenote - I made a rocket build yesterday involving the Two Tailed Fox. Should do a number on the Solar/Void Match Game foes in the Hard Mode Sundial. :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread