What Control? "New" Ultimate Edition & Next-Gen. (Gaming)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 22:45 (1351 days ago)
edited by INSANEdrive, Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 23:00

Story time! A few days ago, the 2nd DLC for the Remedy Entertainment game Control was announced.

Pretty cool right! I've not played any other Remedy games, but this definitely peeked my interest. I've not touched "Control" since I finished it, as I wanted to wait for both the DLCs to drop before I went back in (looks like "the darkness" is in this game too). Part of me was also hoping for the possibility of another Quality-of-Life free update to add more functionality or readability to the game (like Destiny desperately needs). This WAS going to be what the thread was about. I was going to ask if anyone had played other Remedy games? If they were action or horror, or suspenseful... or even if you think such older games would still hold up?

Was. Could still be... but, a day or so ago the "Ultimate Edition" was announced.

In a blog post (and here is the reddit version) it is mentioned that if you already own the game, you will not get the "next gen" variant, unless you have this one "Ultimate Edition" being sold soon. Quote;

Will Control Ultimate Edition give me access to Control on Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5?
We will offer a free next-gen digital upgrade for those who buy Control Ultimate Edition on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. For more information on eligibility, stay tuned to our website and community channels.

What if I purchased the original version of Control previously?
The free upgrade path to Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 version of Control is only available for Control Ultimate Edition.

At least for the Xbox side of things, I'm not sure why there is this sudden exception (sans the obvious)for bringing things over to the "Next Gen" tech. Nothing about this action is socially sound (as if that matters), and such can be seen in the comments around the net. Folks are pissed. Even if you have the season pass, which I wasn't aware there was one... I may be misinterpreting this, it's a no go. It's this "Ultimate Edition" or nothing. NO NEXT GEN FOR YOU!

Per a comment from the "Control" Subreddit, it looks like this is possibly the publishers (505 Games) doing.

Quoting from the end of a Kotaku Article;

When asked for comment, developer Remedy Entertainment directed Kotaku to 505 Games, which did not immediately respond.

Ahh, publisher skullfuckery. Something something nice things something.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread