PS5 is everything I wanted the PS4 to be, but not much more. (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Sunday, November 15, 2020, 14:04 (1257 days ago) @ Morpheus
edited by Korny, Sunday, November 15, 2020, 14:10

I don’t really mean that in a cynical way. I just had really high expectations for the PS4 early on, as the system updates were substantial and exciting, and I had high hopes for where the system could go. Unfortunately, Sony is very much the hare in the race against Xbox, and the updates in the latter half of its life were disappointing. Even the Pro was just “pretty good”, but not enough for me to buy a second (Sammy still ran the launch PS4 until this new gen).

Taking that into account, the PS5 is great. The share features are a huge leap from the PS4’s (and even better than the Xbox’s in a number of ways, but we’ll see if that holds).

The SSD is pretty good. Nothing as crazy as people were touting, but it’s very noticeable (Warframe for example, goes from boot screen to social hub, to open world in about two minutes, faster than logging into Destiny, and that’s without the PS5 optimizations scheduled to hit in the next few weeks).

As far as PS5-exclusive games, we only played Astro’s playroom, and it’s really great. Out-Nintendo’s some Nintendo games for sure, while highlighting just how neat the controller is... speaking of which...

The biggest surprise, as you’ve no doubt heard, is the controller. It really is the major selling point that the system would be weak without.
I hope it doesn’t end up being a gimmick, because it’s really satisfying to use (besides the garbage battery life).

Overall, an 8/10, but games might bump that up in the future.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread