I guffawed reading your response and agreeing so hard (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, November 21, 2020, 17:23 (1252 days ago) @ kidtsunami
edited by Cody Miller, Saturday, November 21, 2020, 17:57

Cody. We’re not idiots. Destiny has looked great for the past year, then suddenly, the day they drop a massive update in which we know they changed the way lighting works, HDR now looks like shit. Nothing about our tvs changed in the past year, Destiny did. It’s fucking broken.

Because it's like, I'm sorry dude, I've had a 4k HDR display for almost 2 years now that I'm replacing with an even fancier monitor, it is not that I fucked up buying my tv what is wrong with you.

My point was that because there actually aren't any actual brightness requirements for the HDR10 standard, it can look wildly different on many displays. Perhaps Bungie didn't test their new implementation on a wide enough variety of screens. It's the only thing I can think of, because if they saw what he saw internally at the studio there'd be no way they'd ship that as is. If their new implementation is aggressive about making bright things bright, then low quality HDR displays (which there are a LOT of) will struggle. A more conservative solution might have looked fine.

The alternative that they fucked up for any and every TV is just so beyond incompetent I can't convince of that happening. Right?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread