They really nailed Backwards Compatibility/Continuity (Gaming)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, November 19, 2020, 16:47 (1247 days ago) @ Joe Duplessie (SNIPE 316)

The other part of me doesn't like this because an inferior version of Bungie's masterpiece is replacing the original,

Gonna have to stop you right there, bud. It's lacking the original game's tessellation features, and a few textures have been slightly altered (which in all likelihood will change in the future), but you're gonna have a hard time convincing anybody it's an inferior version when it has...

Up to 4k resolution
Unlocked framerate
HDR
Vastly improved control options
Widescreen
20+ Skulls
Online Co-op
A campaign scoring/time system
Leaderboards for said system
New multiplayer custom game options
Online Multiplayer
6 more multiplayer maps
Online Fileshare

Plus more stuff I'm probably forgetting.

With features they've teased for the future...

Custom Campaign Settings
Custom Games Browser
Official Mod Support

Plus more stuff I'm probably forgetting.

This is one of those cases where “better” can mean completely different things depending on what you care about. Cody, I believe, prioritizes the historical/archival nature of this issue. He wants to be able to play Halo CE... not an updated or tweaked version, he wants Halo CE exactly as it was originally released. That’s perfectly valid, and from his perspective I think it’s completely fair to consider the original game “better” than the MCC version. On the flip side, I’m sure Microsoft has plenty of data regarding player numbers and feedback towards the various releases of Halo CE over the years. I’d wager that their data shows them that relatively few players care at all about the graphical discrepancies. I bet most people who play the MCC version of Halo CE are using the remastered graphics anyway, aside from the occasional toggle back and forth just to enjoy the novelty of that feature.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread