That is the crux of it for me (Destiny)

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, October 22, 2021, 12:31 (888 days ago) @ Cody Miller

However, Destiny is fundamentally not a holistic experience. The game is already almost completely segmented into playlists launched from a menu, with only the barest amount of story or even game systems connecting them together. I suspect that not having access to one playlist or another isn’t as detrimental to the game as you personally think. The game just isn’t designed as a tight, complete package. Gambit has nothing to do with strikes (other than that you can expect the fundamental mechanics of the game to work the same in either mode).

I think you're right!

But that's not a reason to go a la carte. That's a reason to improve the game's cohesion.

Fundamentally I think making it more cohesive in that regard would drive away most of the player base. There are people who never want to play gambit, or never play crucible, or never run strikes. As a "shared world shooter" the game depends literally on a population to "share" most of its experiences. It largely gets there by not requiring everyone to experience a singular cohesive experience.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread