That is the crux of it for me (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Friday, October 22, 2021, 13:04 (913 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I think about this a lot and usually point towards The Division 2. It has an equivalent to just about everything in Destiny, but feels far more cohesive. Everything is (or can be) launched from with the open world. If you want to replay a mission or activity, you literally just walk to where the mission starts and launch it (Think the flags for the old Adventures, sort of).

The Division has the advantage of being one massive map instead of a bunch of smaller zones, but I think there’s a lot that Destiny could implement there. The Division’s equivalent of Public Events are of particular note in that they’re actually challenging a rewarding. And more interactive in neat ways that you can increase their difficulty tier in neat ways. Knocking out enemy checkpoints will increase the tier of the world in the surrounding area. In Destiny, I can imagine doing Patrols as a way to increase the tier of the next Public Event for better chances at high stat gear or something. Combine that with better Patrol Zones that just have more interesting encounters and the ability to launch missions or strikes from within those zones, and I really think you could make Patrols the default play space and make the game more cohesive.

The Variks upgrade path in Beyond Light is a gesture on the right direction. The Division has a lot of stuff like that, it just feels a bit more connected within the world, rather than menu based.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread