Time can change me (Destiny)

by yakaman, Friday, November 15, 2013, 14:38 (3817 days ago) @ Leviathan

I suppose it's different for me since I don't care when I play a game as long as I actually get to play it (and I'll likely be doing so with Destiny on a 360), but to me, nothing they've revealed for Sony so far seems like too big of a deal.

Having been a decade exclusive to Microsoft, I can totally understand trying to throw a few friendly gestures at Playstation-only gamers who never gave much thought to Halo or to Bungie at all since ONI. That's a pretty big gap to bridge.

The beta is a big deal. I don't care much about different skins, or equipment to start, or even some content. The beta is a very significant, more so than would seem necessary.

I understand the reaching out to Sony people...absolutely. Bungie presents at their show, packages a few exclusives, prefaces their advertisements with the PS logo, whatever. However...gamers as a lot are very interested in being first; brand-new, cutting edge experiences are precious and extremely valuable. Especially so considering this is the first new Bungie IP in 10+ years. Making the beta a timed-exclusive is pretty serious in my opinion.

I know some here have talked about finding an old PS3 for the beta, or perhaps tilting PS4 for the beta. For me, who will absolutely be getting an XBox One...it has a very adverse effect. It makes me mad to be sent to the back of the line, even though all I've ever wanted to do is buy and play their games. I'm...what, just a casualty in the larger console war or something. Does that make me a pawn? Fodder?

Let me try to clarify my thoughts: Bungie is an extremely well-known and successful AAA game developer. They needed to reach out to their new potential customers on Playstations, and have done so in high profile presentations at E3 and subsequent events. I don't think it is likely that PS owners will be unaware of Bungie and their product at release. I expect as a game developer, Bungie should simply want to sell as many games as possible, regardless of platform. Some exclusivity for the purposes of courting new customers is understandable; the beta exclusivity suggests to me a bias. A bias suggests (potentially) differences in function and service.

Am I stretching? Maybe, we'll see. But this is how I feel in the moment.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread