Is Infinite… canon? (Gaming)

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Saturday, January 22, 2022, 18:03 (825 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's a ton of fun!

The story is OK (which is pretty high praise for 343 at this point) and I think they did the best they could with the metaphorical corner they painted themselves into with H5.

The enemies look\sound great and are fun to shoot at. They finally got the art style right on all of them. The weapon sandbox is good overall, vehicles could use some work in areas. The grapple ability is just so much fun, everywhere, all the time. Fun for the sake of fun. I could throw fusion coils at enemies all day.

The world is really fun to explore and full of tons of details and easter eggs. I love the atmosphere when it turns from day to night (pro tip, lower the default brightness settings and see what I mean!). The biome does get repetitive after a bit. Replay value is yet to be seen, but I think it will get better once they get the actual missions to be selectable to play on the fly.

One thing I've always really enjoyed in all of Bungie's Halos, is changing up how I play an encounter just for the no-strings attached fun that it is (that might be "what if I tried this encounter without using X weapons, or only went on foot?*) and the FOBs & Banished facilities would be PERFECT for that kind of replay... but I can't do that unless I start up a whole new campaign. The game does suffer because of this. Remember, these aren't the missions, but the little mini-missions you can do in the open world. I'd love to see a game mechanic where the Banished actively try to take back a FOB that I captured, that would be pretty cool.

Whatever plans they have for expanding campaign\open world consider me interested!

MP is fun too (with blemishes of course) but topic for another time.

---------------------

*True story, replayed H2 campaign on MCC a few months ago and on the Delta Halo mission (the one with "kicking ass in outerspace, wish you were here" line) I decided to skip taking the warthog. In all the time I've played, I never did that before. Doing so, when I came to the area where you need to extend the bridge (a wraith is on one side and you get a scorpion drop) I went on foot around the perimeter and found some dead ODSTs and a sniper rifle that I never knew were there. Blew my mind, 18 years later!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread