Smarter Enemies (Destiny)

by Robot Chickens, Thursday, October 20, 2022, 11:45 (547 days ago) @ Beorn

I have to say, playing through some of the older Halo games on Legendary really highlighted for me just how terribly dumb the Destiny enemy AI is. I want to have more tactical fights, not just brute-forcing my way through waves of thrall. But I sort of think that's a tall order… maybe for D3??

I still feel like HCE on Legendary had the best mix of difficulty scaling and combat behavior I've ever played against. I didn't need elites or brutes to mount boxes so I could snipe them out mid-climb. Eh, you can never go home again.

I wonder if it has to do with networking, lag, etc. Reach felt pretty good for AI, but fell apart with a bad connection. For Destiny, in order to get the smoothness of movement for players and the ability to navigate increasingly more complex geometry, I wonder if they just had to gut the AI to compensate. It really is jarring for company responsible for Halo to have released Destiny's AI. That being said, I do think they've done a decent job of balancing challenge by just throwing lots of thrall at you, which are fun do delete en masse with ridiculous powers/abilities.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread