Smarter Enemies (Destiny)

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Sunday, October 23, 2022, 18:48 (522 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

I wonder if it has to do with networking, lag, etc. Reach felt pretty good for AI, but fell apart with a bad connection. For Destiny, in order to get the smoothness of movement for players and the ability to navigate increasingly more complex geometry, I wonder if they just had to gut the AI to compensate. It really is jarring for company responsible for Halo to have released Destiny's AI. That being said, I do think they've done a decent job of balancing challenge by just throwing lots of thrall at you, which are fun do delete en masse with ridiculous powers/abilities.

Yeah, I suspect the network model/requirement is probably a huge contributor to the style of AI in the game. I was really disappointed in the Lightbearer Hive… they weren't smart or even particularly difficult to combat. Instead, Bungie just made them cheat and let them spam their supers and grenades every few seconds. The most "tactical" part of combating them was to make sure you were close enough (and safe enough) to finish off their Ghost before they respawned.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread