Bungie? or Halo? (from the front page)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 17:29 (4091 days ago) @ Revenant1988
edited by Kermit, Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 17:40

Platforms that materialize just before we land on them. Enemies that disappear and reappear whenever and wherever they want.

A few know-nothing journalists use the word "magic" and suddenly all bets are off.

Hell, when I was a kid Pong was amazing, and playing a game on a TV with the sophistication of the first Halo would have seemed like witchcraft.

Halo was a great IP. It probably has potential greatness still in it, but its incredible popularity makes doing anything other than tweaking the formula a big risk. Frankly, I don't know what it is anymore. It feels like it's trying to be a few too many things right now. Is it now serious Greg Bear Sci-Fi [yawn] with a capital S? Or is it a cliche-ridden, bravado-laden, technologically advanced game of army men? I will follow it, but I don't expect reinvention. I expect familiarity. Familiarity is one of its selling points. I will play Halo, but I have a hard time imagining it being what it once was--the game that shocked me with what was possible.

I don't know what I want in Destiny, honestly, but I know I want something I haven't had before. No one wanted an MP3 player before the iPod. No one wanted a touch-screen phone before the iPhone. Someone has to anticipate what I'll want and have the guts and vision to make it for me. (And btw, Steve Jobs made the gadgets that he wanted to have--sound familar?)

I want the future. Give me magic. Astound me with what I didn't realize could be done. Bungie has always aimed high. They've hit more targets than they missed. Yeah, I played most of their non-Halo games, too, but I have to wonder how many games does it take to convince people that it's worth the price of admission just to see what they're up to? I can't relate. It's like claiming to be be a rock'n'roll fan in the 60s and not buying the new Beatles album because you heard it doesn't sound like Sgt. Pepper. Or being a patron of the Elizabethan theater and not going to the Tempest, because, you know, that Prospero dude is kind of like a wizard, and I don't dig wizards.

I mean, damn. There's no way I'll accept less than a front-row seat for what's next.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread