Bungie. Unequivocally.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 20:43 (4089 days ago) @ Revenant1988

is informed by a topic that I assume is verboten on this board...

I've already addressed this concept in a previous post within this thread.

I am aware of the... similarities. My perception has to do with presentation. "Magic" triggers the fantasy genre in my mind. "Magic" exists in sci-fi, but it is never specifically referred to as "magic". ME3 is a good example of this.

So you're against genre mixing? Is Star Wars science fiction or fantasy, do you think? Or is this really just semantics?

There was a mix up between what was reported on a few journalistic websites and what Bungie has actually quoted so far. I'm sure this will happen several times. I am only human.

Sure, it's inevitable. So far I think nobody at Bungie has said "magic"-- I think IGN may have started that, but if not, it was inevitable it would. I believe the ViDoc talked about Guardians being able to wield "some of the Travelers awesome power" or some such thing, which probably means things from a gameplay perspective that are like ME's biotic powers or Bioshock's tonics and plasmids. None of which were ever really called "magic" even though they are, from a gameplay perspective, functionally inseparable from how well implemented magic systems work in games that feature them, like the Elder Scrolls series. If one doesn't enjoy RPGs with fantasy settings, that's cool, but if one did, but avoided a game because one doesn't like the word "magic" that just seems a bit odd, especially since you can easily, if you like, play a game like that while never using any magic of any kind, if one so chose.

I personally don't like the term, "Magic".

That just struck me as sort of weird. Just sayin'.

That's why I speculated that the cause was a topic banned on the forum. Is that the case? Is there a root for your dislike of magic, or at least your dislike of the word?

That is not the main point of this thread.

No, but I addressed that in the subject. And threads never go offtopic. Never.

The point of this thread was to gauge an idea on what folks here thought about regarding what the article asked: Bungie? or Halo?

I was a fan of Bungie quite awhile before Halo. I was interested in Halo first because it was Bungie, and then because of what I saw. If Bungie hadn't been the one making Halo, I don't know what it could have been, but it's very likely I might never have played it.

I'm interested in Destiny right now because it's what Bungie is doing. I like what I see so far. I suppose something might happen to lessen my interest over time, but so far that has yet to happen to me with a Bungie game since Marathon 1.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread