Bungie. Unequivocally.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, February 22, 2013, 01:17 (4089 days ago) @ Reconcilliation

I'm not in particular a big fan of magic in a sci-fi setting either, but that's because I prefer my sci-fi hard.

I like that the game is mostly limited in scope to our solar system, that's a touch more realistic, but the FTL space fighters, the space-magic, etc. just tickle me the wrong way.

I think the space magic and soft science fiction will grant a lot more creative freedom - you're not after all restrained by the laws of our universe as we know it, but it may come at the cost of internal consistency. Time after time I find this to be the case when magic comes into play, because it is 'You can do anything' power and that is a very easy tool to misuse.

Generally I tend to agree, but I allow for leeway where it's set up properly. After all, any sufficiently advanced technology seems like magic. I'd be willing to admit that whatever unusual "powers" the Travel assigns to Guardians would seem to the less-advanced human culture like magic without actually contravening the laws of physics as they exist in the Destiny universe.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread