Microhard to Sonyboy? (warning: bandwidth am cry)

by Phoenix_9286 @, Thursday, February 21, 2013, 14:18 (4089 days ago) @ Xenos

Just how does playing before it's finished downloading work?

That's probably not how it works, as that would indeed be really difficult to pull off. The sense I got from it was that they would try to predict what games you're likely to purchase and cache them locally, so that they're already on your system when you went to buy. Hence the whole "we're tracking your behaviour" stuff.

Of course, then you have the problem of cache misses; the fewer games are permitted to cache on your system, the more likely you are to try and purchase a game that's not already on your system. At which point you'd have to go ahead and wait for the download. But then, your whole idea of streaming while downloading could actually be applied there. That would be crazy interesting.

Actually from the service they bought to do this I am pretty sure it's not a cache but actually streaming the game from the Internet, kind of like OnLive.

It'd have to be, if it wasn't, you're losing drive space to games you may, or may not, ever play or purchase, and that are probably entirely hidden from view. I can't see that going over well with anyone.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread